Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon



Twenty years ago, Diana Gabaldon swept readers into her mesmerizing world brimming with history, romance, and adventure. In celebration of the series that has captured the heart of millions, here is a special 20th anniversary edition of the novel that started it all—including a new essay, a new map, a CD with Outlander the musical, and more.

OUTLANDER

The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord . . . 1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, and shatter her heart. For here James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire—and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives. @goodreads 



MY REVIEW:


5 STARS 


I figured I would love the book since I loved the first two seasons of the show. Although, I have many more books to go =)

I did get the beautiful bound (20th anniversary edition) of the book because it is beautiful! Here's a little picture of the book and some of my stuff around it to make it even more pretty. The book looks smaller in the picture than it is so I don't know. <-- images on your screen are smaller than they appear.


 :

I love Jamie and Claire! I just want them to be together and that's the end of it.



I will say that I DID skim over the torture/rape scenes with Jamie or other things that made me cringe in the show or book. That's just the way it's going to be with me. Also, I might like to add that there is a red hot poker waiting on Captain Jack Randall. Oh, the glory of wiping him from the world, rapist of children (boys) and men. He can't seem to get it . . . anyway . . . .

 :

I love everyone in the Mackenzie crew. I mean, yes they are some stupid stuff they do but you start to love certain ones. Murtagh is my favorite! He's just so damn cool!


 :

I had put off reading this book for a very long time. I just wasn't sure I would be able to read about the graphic scenes of rape and torture. I always knew I could skim it but still kept waiting. I didn't think I would like any of it really.

Then,

I got the dvd's from the library and then I bought the blu-rays of seasons 1 & 2 and then I bought the big ole book and the little paperback book. Then my friend bought me the rest of them and that's my history =) I fell right in love and hate and disgust and more hate and more love and what the, moments.

I had read some reviews in the past that said the books have too much history or descriptions but remarkably enough, I didn't feel that way. I might later on, who really knows. I just loved reading about it all. You just never know until you try.

I loved when Jamie and Claire go to Lallybroch and spend time with Jamie's sister, Jenny and husband and kids. I'm glad Jamie pulled his head out of his butt long enough to get the scoop on Jenny. And to FINALLY be able to see her and get over it. I mean even if what he thought happened, really happened, that's your sister so deal with it!

Of course then we start getting to the part with Jamie and Randall. I must say it was easier to skim over the bad parts in the book than in the show. In the show they just jump out at you and you have to try not to see it. In the book you're going at your own pace so that was better!

Anyway, I loved it! So there you have it =)



'Ye are Blood of my Blood, and Bone of my Bone.
I give ye my Body, that we Two might be One.
I give ye my Spirit, 'til our Life shall be Done.'
 Here's a link to the Skye Boat Song on YouTube. I love it so much! 

https://youtu.be/cGgMMUBX6kY

GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1958878451

2 comments:

  1. One of my favourite book series ever and back when I was 20 I was able to cope with the rape and torture. I think these days I'd flinch a bit more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you loved it =) I look forward to reading the continuing series!

    ReplyDelete