Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Thursday, November 3, 2016

The Shattered Vigil by Patrick W. Carr

Victory over the dark forces during the feast of Bas-solas should have guaranteed safety for the continent. Instead, Willet and the rest of the Vigil discover they've been outsmarted by those seeking to unleash the evil that inhabits the Darkwater. Jorgen, the member of the Vigil assigned to Frayel, has gone missing, and new attacks have struck at the six kingdoms' ability to defend themselves.

Just when the Vigil thought they had quenched the menace from their enemy in Collum, a new threat emerges: assassins hunting the Vigil, men and women who cannot be seen until it's too late. The orders of the church and the rulers of the kingdoms, fearing the loss of the Vigil's members altogether, have decided to take them into protective custody to safeguard their gift. On Pellin's orders, the Vigil scatters, leaving Willet to be taken prisoner by the church in Bunard.
In the midst of this, Willet learns of the murder of an obscure nobleman's daughter by one of the unseen assassins. Now he must escape his imprisonment and brave the wrath of the church to find the killer in order to turn back this latest threat to the northern continent. @goodreads 


MY REVIEW:

3.5 STARS 




I can't actually do a proper review of this book as I didn't know at the time I got a print copy from the publisher (BethanyHouse) that is was the second book in the series. I definitely want to go back and read the first book and then read this book again, maybe I will understand more of what is really going on.

Some books are okay as a stand alone but for me, when it's high/epic fantasy, I need to start from the beginning.

I did like some of the characters in the book even though there were so many and I'm not quite sure what all happened to them in the beginning.

From what I understand from the first book reviews, the Vigil think they have taken care of the evil which I'm assuming is the Darkwater. This makes people really weird and do some strange evil things. But, something went wrong because there are still evil people out there trying to unleash the evil. I mean it's not gone like they thought.

I was very confused with the writing style as well. It took me awhile to realize that the narrator was one of the characters named, Dura. I think I finally got that figured out. So it took me a little bit to figure out who was talking when and if this was Dura's thoughts. I still think it will all be easier with the first book.

There are some killings in the book as always. Some really made me mad but I won't say what it was. I did like the fact that things could come at you without you seeing it and kill you. I mean some of the Vigil could see blips of a person or whatever and hopefully succeed at killing it. I thought that was a great idea. Not in my world, but in this world it works out to be pretty cool. Talking about being on your toes at all times.

I'm guessing there is going to be another book the way it ended. I do look forward to reading the series as a whole if that's what it's going to be and starting at book one.


GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1801980728

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

https://www.amazon.com/Shattered-Vigil-Darkwater-Saga/dp/0764213474/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1478176048&sr=1-1&keywords=the+shattered+vigil

No comments:

Post a Comment