Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Sunday, July 24, 2016

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

'On what slender threads do life and fortune hang'

Thrown in prison for a crime he has not committed, Edmond Dantès is confined to the grim fortress of If. There he learns of a great hoard of treasure hidden on the Isle of Monte Cristo and he becomes determined not only to escape, but also to unearth the treasure and use it to plot the destruction of the three men responsible for his incarceration. Dumas' epic tale of suffering and retribution, inspired by a real-life case of wrongful imprisonment, was a huge popular success when it was first serialised in the 1840s.

Robin Buss' lively translation is complete and unabridged, and remains faithful to the style of Dumas' original. This edition includes an introduction, explanatory notes and suggestions for further reading. @goodreads


MY REVIEW:

5 STARS 


 :

ALL THE FREAKING FEELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



I never in a million years would have thought I would love this book! I never thought I would like something like this book. I never thought I would fall in love with Dantes! I never thought I would have so much anger, sadness, despair and happiness in this book! I never thought, did I!

*********SOME SPOILERS**********

Edmond Dantes was a wonderful man of 19-years-old. He had a woman he loved and was going to marry named Mercedes. A loving father. And he was going to be captain of the wonderful ship, Pharaon.

The the jealous bastards or just bastards in general ruined life for Dantes.


1. Danglars
2. Fernand
3. Villefort


I hate these men with such a passion I just wanted someone to kill their evil selves.



All of the jerks had a hand in putting Dantes in prison for 14 effing years! Yeah! For what? For NOTHING!

Dantes was in such despair he was going to starve himself to death. I can't even!

Then one night Dantes hears a scratching sound and soon realizes someone is tunneling. Dantes decides to tunnel as well. At some point the two of them tunnel to each other. Dantes gets to meet Abbe Faria, the mad man (so they say) in the cell next door. Abbe Faria thinks he's tunneling out to freedom but he made a miscalculation. But Dantes and Abbe devise a new plan and this takes some years to do all of this tunneling. But the Abbe is old and sick and having seizures. He's not going to be able to make it so Dantes waits with him. He is like another father figure to Dantes. And who in the hell but Dantes would wait and not leave his friend. Because Dantes is good and kind and loving.

Abbe Faria is also the one that opens Dantes eyes to who the culprits were that put him in jail. Poor Dantes couldn't see this at the time and he couldn't read what we were reading so he had no clue. Abbe Faria also tells Dantes about tons of gold and jewels that he has hidden on the island of Monte Cristo. He makes Dantes remember everything about getting there and where to find the treasure.

Unfortunately, Abbe Faria dies and it was so sad. Dantes was so grief stricken over his friend. Dantes decided to leave then as he had nothing else to stay for and he put himself in Abbe Faria's place all wrapped up waiting to be buried. Well, he doesn't actually get buried but thrown out to sea and luckily Dantes managed to save himself.

We go on to read of the tale of how Dantes get to Monte Cristo and soon he is beyond rich and he is so smart and reading to get IT DONE!

And Dantes doesn't just run off and kill people. He's smart. He tears down their houses, their world without them knowing who he is until the bitter end. And all of the riches they acquired while he rotted in jail was disgusting. Anyway, some people did die but that's of little importance.




Dantes is also kind to all of the people that were kind to him or tried to help him while he was in jail. He's such a wonderful person. Yes, I know I keep saying that. He helps Morrel and his family when they were about to lose everything. They even lost the Pharaon but Dantes brings him a new one without Morrel even knowing where the ship came from. Dantes gave them money. He helped the family even after Morrel was gone. I cried and cried at his generosity.

And to sit and read of all the plans and all of the people crumble.

The only person to recognize Dantes, even with his disguises, was Mercedes. But she went and married freaking Fernand and had a kid. Dantes was friends with Mercedes son but things could never be good for them again. And it's so, so sad for so many involved.

Oh, and Dantes called himself "Sinbad the Sailor" and "The Count of Monte Cristo." Of course I guess if you own a rock and gold and jewels and many other things, you can call yourself anything you want! :-)

I can't sit here and go on and on about the book. It's freaking 1276 pages! I'm not that good of a reviewer to tell you something good about that many pages. Just know. . . THIS BOOK is freaking AWESOME! If you have been debating on reading it and afraid of it's size, who cares, just read it. I mean you can take two months or however long to enjoy Dantes and his adventures, but don't let the "tome" bother you. It's not boring at all! NOT ONE BIT!

I give it all the stars!




Sail on dear, Dantes!

 :




GOODREADS REVIEW:


AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:


4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to read a Dumas novel but never got around to it. Maybe I'll pick this one up and see if I like it! I think I've seen 2-3 movie versions of it, but hopefully it won't ruin the book for me.
    ~Litha Nelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is wonderful. Make sure you read the full unabridged book it's only wonderful in it's full volume. 1276 pages. ♥

      Delete
  2. Why, Melissa, why?!!
    I've already read this book twice in my life, one when I was a young 18-year-old girl and was in love with Gerard Depardieu's Edmond Dantes. The second time was when I was 28 yo and I read it just to make sure that the book was good and although I've found some problems with Dumas's writings I fell in love all over again with Dantes.
    Now that my heart has recovered and is searching new loves, you come and make me want to read it again and fall in love one more time! Shame on you!!
    Thank you!
    Shirlei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hon :-) I am so in love with Dantes. I can't even imagine this book being any better than it is and I can't believe I have waited so long to read it. 1276 pages and never got bored. I'm so glad to find another lover of Edmond ♥

      Delete