Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Midair by Kodi Scheer

“I had a secret: I wanted to leave the earth in a spectacular fashion. Specifically, by leaping from the Eiffel Tower.” So begins this provocative coming-of-age novel about a teenage girl bent on self-destruction and revenge, set in the City of Light.

It’s the summer of 1999, the end of a millennium. In the mind of Nessa Baxter, a girl from rural Illinois, Paris is the remedy for all of her woes. The death of her beloved brother and the betrayal by her classmate Kat has left Nessa bereft and doubtful about her future. She plans to exact revenge on Kat during their renegade French Club trip. Along with classmates Whitney and Kiran, the four girls embark on a series of misadventures in Paris. As part of her plan, Nessa starts a game of truth or dare that spirals out of control.

A suspenseful psychological drama, Midair is the story of a young girl’s descent into darkness and the secrets we keep, even from ourselves.
@goodreads


MY REVIEW:


 3 STARS 

Midair is my kindle-first pick for July. I hate to say it but I had a really hard time reading this book. I thought the blurb sounded great and the first lines of the book pulled me right in...
I had a secret: I wanted to leave the earth in a spectacular fashion. Specifically, by leaping from the Eiffel Tower. The end seemed ideal-high above the city, soaring through the air just as my heart stopped and my brain released a rush of endorphins, causing intense euphoria. A moth consumed by light.


*************There will be SPOILERS************

 :

Nessa, Kat, Whitney and Kiran are in a French class together and decided to go on a trip to Paris.

Nessa is on a mission. She lost her brother Vincent, he died of a heart condition and she wants to commit suicide. Nessa also wants to destroy Kat who cheated off her exams and made Nessa lose out on getting into university. Kat still got into Yale because her father is a big wig sooooo....

Nessa is not friends per se with these girls before the trip. She does at some point consider them friends.

There are a lot of things that go on in this book. I was appalled at some of the things that happened.


1. Stupidity: When the girls first arrive they allow some boys they don't know to take them to where they are going to be staying. They also told the boys they would go to their party the next night. This is where one takes it for the team so the others don't get hurt.

2. Two girls are raped during this trip. One as I have stated to take one for the team so they won't get hurt. So, it was allowed for the said girl to be gang raped. But she allowed so it's okay right?

3. One girl feels bad about not trying to turn in said guys but goes back to let them take her virginity and rape her and get her pregnant so they might hold off on raping another girl. Really?

4. There is a death, but it's not the suicide we are thinking is going to happen. It's a tragic, stupid freaking thing that never should have happened.

 
I would say, during the first half of the book I couldn't relate or like these girls. They were kept talking about getting one of the girls cherry popped while there. They were constantly acting lewd and stupid. I felt for Ness with the things she went through but there was no other connection. Just when I wanted to stop the book, I continued on and I'm glad I did for this is where the 3 stars come in. Don't get me wrong, these girls do more stupid things, but you get to see some sides to them that show them as human beings. The story has a happy-ish ending for the girls. They do not remain friends into adulthood but they will always have Paris and that horrible time in their lives.

Another part that bothered me about the book is the change from reading about the girls to the mom. No one knows who's mom, it would just start with the mom talking and then move back to the girls. I wish there would have at least been a heading, even as simple as "MOM" so as not to get confused from time to time.

I read a lot of book dealing with mental issues and rape as I know something about those and I'm in no way saying this book is horrible. I just didn't like the way the girls themselves acted and the way things were put together in the book. I do like that the author put this book out there so that maybe some girls will read it and learn NOT to do those things and to be very, very careful. Also, realize there is always help. I know people say that, I get it all of the time. It's hard for people to understand the mind of someone in deep depression or wanting to commit suicide. Speaking from experience, don't try to analyze the person or tell them what to do, just be there for them, listen and try to understand and help in that way. It just might help.

I hope others can love this book more than me, opinions are just what they are: OPINIONS!


GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1688516268

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

https://www.amazon.com/Midair-Kodi-Scheer/dp/1503934128/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

No comments:

Post a Comment