Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Forgive me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick

Today is Leonard Peacock’s birthday. It is also the day he hides a gun in his backpack. Because today is the day he will kill his former best friend, and then himself, with his grandfather’s P-38 pistol.

But first he must say good-bye to the four people who matter most to him: his Humphrey Bogart-obsessed next-door neighbor, Walt; his classmate, Baback, a violin virtuoso; Lauren, the Christian homeschooler he has a crush on; and Herr Silverman, who teaches the high school’s class on the Holocaust. Speaking to each in turn, Leonard slowly reveals his secrets as the hours tick by and the moment of truth approaches.

In this riveting look at a day in the life of a disturbed teenage boy, acclaimed author Matthew Quick unflinchingly examines the impossible choices that must be made—and the light in us all that never goes out. @goodreads


MY REVIEW:

3 STARS 


 :

I had this idea that I would love this book a lot, but I just didn't. I love these kinds of books because they touch on real things in life, sad things. I just didn't feel it with this book.

Leonard is going to kill his ex-best friend and himself. We don't find out until near the end why he wants to kill Asher and then himself. I feel like it would have been better if we got some more insight into the bad things that happened with these two boys. I would have felt more connected to Leonard that way.

Leonard goes throughout the day giving gifts to his friends and teacher. Maybe some are not necessarily friends, but people that touched him in some way. Although, I didn't like his story line with Lauren. He was pretty much an a••hole with her.

I liked Leonard's teacher Herr Silverman. He was a kind teacher and he understood a lot more than people would think. But, I really couldn't stand Leonard's mother, she was horrible to him. That just had to be a sad existence with her.

Leonard has so many things going on in his head. And he picks the day to kill Asher and himself on his own birthday that his mom didn't even remember.




Overall I liked the idea of the book and the character of the teacher. I just wish there was a little bit more to the story. But I'm so glad there are many more than can love it and get more out of it than I did because that's what it's all about ♥

GOODREADS REVIEW:

 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1711743969

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

https://www.amazon.com/Forgive-Leonard-Peacock-Matthew-Quick/dp/031622135X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469723421&sr=8-1&keywords=forgive+me+leonard+peacock

No comments:

Post a Comment