Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Dark Winter by John Hennessy

Romilly Winter is no ordinary heroine, just a reluctant one.

She has a gift. She can see the future. But can she see far enough? The world in which she lives is under attack – the dead are rising, and evil follows her at every turn.

Will she be able to save herself – and the world?”

From the Diary of Romilly Winter, October 14th.

"I’ve had two years to prepare for this. In that time, I have never told a soul. Of course, my Nan knew. She’d bequeathed me the mirror, after all. Now, maybe tonight, tomorrow, in a few days, the event that I don’t want to happen with all my heart, will come to pass. I’m not ready. I know I’m not ready, and yet, it will happen nonetheless.

Nan had this thing in her possession for nearly seventy years. She had told me I simply had to be at Rosewinter, prior to my sixteenth birthday no matter what objections my parents raised. She said I was ‘special’, and was the only one equipped to deal with what was coming.

The problem is, I don’t feel special, I just feel…different, and in all probability, that isn't going to be good enough.

In just two days time, I will be sixteen years old, and if anything my Nan said is remotely true, I will be lucky to survive that long…."

AUTHOR NOTES: Not for the very youngest of readers. @goodreads 


MY REVIEW: 

3.5 STARS 



 :

This book really does have a creep factor that I love. Creepy books are the best. They only reason this didn't get a higher star rating is because of the story being all over the place and that is hard for little brains like mine. I need it to be written out in order. So this review probably won't make much sense.

Romilly Winter is given a Mirror of Souls by her Nan on her fourteenth birthday to help her fight evil when she turns sixteen. This mirror can supposedly trap good and bad souls in it and if you break it then they all leak out. I think some leaked out anyway.

So Romilly goes to stay in the family cabin.. creepy cabin in the woods. This cabin is called Rosewinter and it's in the Gorswood Forest, which is said to be haunted. Oh yay! Run now!

 :



There seem to be evil ghosts, zombies, devil men and what not and so forth wandering around in these woods. Oh and sometimes the random stupid kid! But the vibe of the cabin and the woods is just creepy! Creepy good!

 :

I won't go to much into the story with Romilly and the mirror or it will give too much away. Romilly does have some special powers to take out some bad peeps and good peeps too if they get too close to her. She has these friends Beth, Toril, Jacinta, Troy (she has a crush on) and Alix. Well, Alix isn't really a friend and he gets in trouble for it. But I digress.

Then there is the creepy dude from the school named Curie that they all end up having to try to take out because he is evil and not necessarily by choice.

Oh and then... lets not forget the creepy doll. It's funny how they always end up in scary stories. Nothing like a creepy doll.


 :

Said "creepy doll" just appears in Romilly's room and one of the girls takes a liking to it because she knows what it is and the story that is linked to it has something to do with Romilly's Nan. And of course you can summon a killer ghost with it. Gets better and better for these kids right?

There is a lot of scary stuff going on, I can't mention it all to you, read it for yourself. There is a good bit of scares, blood and guts, evil evil evil and that's not all. There are two more books about the story so I'm not sure how much more creepy and gory it's going to get but I'm going to read them and find out



GOODREADS REVIEW:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1489644712

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I73A8DG?keywords=dark%20winter%20by%20john%20hennessy&qid=1458738088&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1

No comments:

Post a Comment