Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Monday, November 30, 2015

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it, no paper notices plastered on lampposts and billboards. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.

Within these nocturnal black-and-white striped tents awaits an utterly unique, a feast for the senses, where one can get lost in a maze of clouds, meander through a lush garden made of ice, stare in wonderment as the tattooed contortionist folds herself into a small glass box, and become deliciously tipsy from the scents of caramel and cinnamon that waft through the air.

Welcome to Le Cirque des Rêves.

Beyond the smoke and mirrors, however, a fierce competition is under way--a contest between two young illusionists, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood to compete in a "game" to which they have been irrevocably bound by their mercurial masters. Unbeknownst to the players, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will.

As the circus travels around the world, the feats of magic gain fantastical new heights with every stop. The game is well under way and the lvies of all those involved--the eccentric circus owner, the elusive contortionist, the mystical fortune-teller, and a pair of red-headed twins born backstage among them--are swept up in a wake of spells and charms.

But when Celia discovers that Marco is her adversary, they begin to think of the game not as a competition but as a wonderful collaboration. With no knowledge of how the game must end, they innocently tumble headfirst into love. A deep, passionate, and magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

Their masters still pull the strings, however, and this unforeseen occurrence forces them to intervene with dangerous consequences, leaving the lives of everyone from the performers to the patrons hanging in the balance.

Both playful and seductive, The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern's spell-casting debut, is a mesmerizing love story for the ages. @goodreads


MY REVIEW:

3 STARS 



 :

I am in the minority that just liked the book and not loved it. I love the idea of a circus just appearing in the night and that you could only attend it at night. I love that it's all black and white and kinds of different things go on in the individual tents.

 :

 :

I was confused during a lot of the book, trying to figure out how certain people even pertained to the circus. Maybe I just didn't get it, maybe I was just too sleepy, either way, that's how it is.

I very much loved different parts of the book that seemed so magical and I don't mean..pull a rabbit out of your hat.. I mean the story line, how the author told it in such a way that you felt transported to another time. I would love to go to this circus! I would probably spend most of my time in the ice garden, but I love the cold sooo.... It just sounds like a magical place to be and I wish we could have read more about the things going on in the tents.

I love Celia and Marco. I do not like they were pitted against each other by their masters to see who will win in the "magic" game. I think these two were such sweet characters even if their masters weren't all that great to them. Well, Celia's father was her master and he seemed pretty evil. I will leave that for you to read about.

I would like to try this book again another day to see if I can get my head around the parts I just didn't get. I think this book has a lot of magic inside. :)


 :


GOODREADS REVIEW:


https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1454127609


AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:


http://www.amazon.com/Night-Circus-Erin-Morgenstern/dp/0385534639/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1448910845&sr=8-1

2 comments:

  1. Great review Mel! I still need to read this one myself since I've heard so many wonderful things about it, but I've also seen a lot like you that liked it but didn't love to. I haven't seen anyone really dislike it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can love it more than I did, I wanted to love it, but something just keep me confused :( Maybe I will read it again. Yes, I have seen more loves and likes of the book than anything so either way you have a win win ♥

      Delete