Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Friday, November 20, 2015

Sugar by Deidre Riordan Hall

I’m the fat Puerto Rican–Polish girl who doesn’t feel like she belongs in her skin, or anywhere else for that matter. I’ve always been too much and yet not enough.
 
Sugar Legowski-Gracia wasn’t always fat, but fat is what she is now at age seventeen. Not as fat as her mama, who is so big she hasn’t gotten out of bed in months. Not as heavy as her brother, Skunk, who has more meanness in him than fat, which is saying something. But she’s large enough to be the object of ridicule wherever she is: at the grocery store, walking down the street, at school. Sugar’s life is dictated by taking care of Mama in their run-down home—cooking, shopping, and, well, eating. A lot of eating, which Sugar hates as much as she loves.
When Sugar meets Even (not Evan—his nearly illiterate father misspelled his name on the birth certificate), she has the new experience of someone seeing her and not her body. As their unlikely friendship builds, Sugar allows herself to think about the future for the first time, a future not weighed down by her body or her mother.
Soon Sugar will have to decide whether to become the girl that Even helps her see within herself or to sink into the darkness of the skin-deep role her family and her life have created for her. @goodreads
MY REVIEW:

5 STARS

 BLOODY HELL! I HAVE CRIED SO HARD OVER THIS BOOK! I LOVE THIS BOOK, I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ARSE WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS, THIS BOOK WAS SO DAMN SAD. I FELL IN LOVE WITH SUGAR... AND LET ME GET THROUGH SOME OF THESE GIFS SO I CAN TELL HER STORY.

 :

 :



This book has just broken my heart! Just torn it apart and put it back together :(

 :

Sugar's name is Mercy, but her mom named her Sugar when she was little because she found her in a room as a baby with a spoon eating out of the sugar bag. She thought it was funny. Sugar's mom is a b*tch!

Sugar has an older brother named Fat Henry and he moved out long ago. She has another older brother that lives with her and her mom and he is called Skunk from an unfortunate accident when he was a child. Skunk is a demon to Sugar, God I hate him! He beats her up, calls her names, he's just evil. Sugar's mom also calls her a fat slob, lazy.. blah blah.. yet this woman took to her bed years ago and has Sugar wait on her hand and foot because she's too fat to get off the bed.

This woman/thing would feed Sugar and the other kids all kinds of food growing up, but Sugar got the brunt of it. She would say eat more Sugar, you need to grow. Filling her full of carbs and sugar like I have never seen in my life! Now, poor Sugar is almost eighteen and she's obese and loves to eat. They all still eat crap food constantly. I was sickened reading what all they were eating, the amounts of it all.

Sugar has been bullied at school all of her life for being overweight. I mean these kids are so damn cruel. Then she meets Even, yes that's how it's spelled, you can read it in the blurb. He is a new kid and he is so nice to her. He doesn't care that she is overweight and he even actually gets her to lose weight by going on walks together and just talking.


 :

He stands by her through everything. No one can believe the hot guy wants to hang out with her.. but guess what.. he does, he's nice so they can all suck it!

He has problems at home with his dad being a drunk. His mom died in childbirth. He's building a Harley so he can travel the places his mom wanted to go that he read in her journal and he wants to spread her ashes at the sea.

Even teaches Sugar how to ride his Harley once he gets it ready and she gets her license when she turns eighteen. They have so many wonderful adventures together. I can't give out all of the spoilers.

Sugar can open up to him. She tells him of how when her grandmother Boo was still alive, she teaches her how to sew and she makes a lot of clothes. You know, things like that. Sugar is a good person as I have said before. She goes to church on Sunday's and prays for her family. She just wants to have a normal family but that doesn't really happen. She gets bullied at home and school!

At one point, something really bad happens.. I had to put the book down for a little bit because of the crying.




After a tragedy, Sugar gets into counseling and makes some strides in understanding her life. I forgot to mention her father left when she was young, but there is a whole other story to that... it's not what it seems or what she was told actually.

One day Sugar was leaving school and as she goes to get into her car to leave, she sees it's covered in donuts. Those jerks were still bullying her after the tragedy. They suck so bad. But by learning from Even and her therapist, this is what she had to say to them.


•••••••••••

“I feel sorry for all of you if your idea of humor is insulting the way someone looks. Yeah, I may be different, but in addition to my pity, you also deserve my gratitude. Going on four years, you have all done a solid job of teaching me who I am, but it’s not who you think. I’m a good person, and I am going to do great things.” I pause, but decide to leave it at that.
“So, see ya around and—“ I smile my beautiful smile and lift my arms in victory. Staring into the crowd I loudly say, “Fuck you!”


••••••••••••

 :

 :

After all of this Sugar doesn't go back to school, she goes and stays with her brother Henry and his fiance who are great people. Well Henry's finance turned his life around so he's good people. They get it to where Sugar can do her studies at home so she can graduate. Stacy, the fiance, teaches her how to make some healthy meals, they find some closure with family matters, and Sugar eventually sets out on a Harley to fulfill a dream and a promise.

 :

The Damn End! Read The Book! I Wish I Had A Friend Like Sugar!


 :
 
GOODREADS REVIEW:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1446998730

AMAZON LINK TO THE BOOK:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1477829385/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=200PK5IIT8BDX&coliid=I936G886V4IK7

2 comments:

  1. I know a lot of people have been reading and loving this book because it carries such a meaningful message and shows the raw emotions so well. It's on my TBR and I really do want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you think Olivia! It's so good, there is just something about it. I bought it right after reading it on my kindle unlimited and the author wrote me an email about my review :) I thought that was very kind, but it's just one of those books that grabbed me! Let me know when you read it as I never seem to know what's going on! LOL

      Delete