Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Anna Benz, an American in her late thirties, lives with her Swiss husband Bruno and their three young children in a postcard-perfect suburb of Zürich. Though she leads a comfortable, well-appointed life, Anna is falling apart inside. Adrift and increasingly unable to connect with the emotionally unavailable Bruno or even with her own thoughts and feelings, Anna tries to rouse herself with new experiences: German language classes, Jungian analysis, and a series of sexual affairs she enters into with an ease that surprises even her. Tensions escalate, and her lies start to spin out of control. Having crossed a moral threshold, Anna will discover where a woman goes when there’s no going back. @goodreads

MY REVIEW:


Read from April 04 to 08, 2015

**I would like to thank Netgalley and Random House Publishing Group - Random House for giving me the opportunity to read this book**

There will be **SPOILERS**!!

I'm not even sure where to begin with this book. At times I hated it and times I loved it. You have Anna and her husband Bruno who live the ordinary life, he works, she takes care of the kids, she goes to a German class during the day while her mother-in-law watches the baby.

But Anna seems to be bored with life, lonely, whatever it is and she has affairs. She sees a therapist but I don't think that helps at all. The book jumps around so much I got confused a bit at what was going on. I liked the author's writing style, the way she put things into words, but I still don't know.

Anna starts having sex with a man, Archie, from her German class. At some point, I'm thinking this was before Archie, she was having sex with Stephen who she fell in love with, but he moved back to America. Then there is another man sort of in the family who's name I have already forgotten, I think she was only with him a couple of times.

The book is all about her having sex and going to German class. She does pick up a friend, Mary from German class and her and Bruno become friends of Mary and her husband. They have dinners at each others houses.

Mary has three children, Victor who is eight and Charles who is six. Polly is the new baby, which turns out is Stephen's baby but no one ever knows that but Anna.

She loses one of her kids and goes into a withdrawal. I still just don't know what to think of this book. It was a good book to read, but there was just something about it that put me off.

In the end, somehow, Bruno finds out, I still don't know how, because he just comes in the kitchen asking about who she was having sex with, more bluntly than that, beats her up and throws her out. The book ends with her wandering around and never getting anywhere. I don't know what ever happened to her. I don't know if she decided to leave the town or what. I just felt too confused during the book.

Maybe it was just me and other people will get it, but I just couldn't. I think if I could have understood more then I would have liked it a lot more. There is something about it that I like and something about it that is just messed up and I'm thinking it's the back and forth things that probably did me in.

There is a good bit of vivid sex scenes. This makes Anna happy and sad. It seems to me she is just a lonely woman that will never find her peace.  3 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment