Welcome All Book Lovers

Welcome All Book Lovers

Sunday, April 26, 2015

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Marie-Laure lives with her father in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where he works as the master of its thousands of locks. When she is six, Marie-Laure goes blind and her father builds a perfect miniature of their neighborhood so she can memorize it by touch and navigate her way home. When Marie-Laure is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris, and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure’s reclusive great-uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum’s most valuable and dangerous jewel.

In a mining town in Germany, the orphan Werner grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments, a talent that wins him a place at a brutal academy for Hitler Youth, then a special assignment to track the resistance. More and more aware of the human cost of his intelligence, Werner travels through the heart of the war and, finally, into Saint-Malo, where his story and Marie-Laure’s converge. @ goodreads


MY REVIEW: 

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1121446734

Read from April 21 to 26, 2015

I'm not really sure what there is left to say about this book. There are so many good reviews and some not so great.

I loved the characters, but at times I felt like the book left me wanting for something. I don't even know what that could be. As one reviewer stated, maybe it was my mood at the time, I'm just not sure.

I fell in love with Marie-Laure and her papa. The sweet little things he did for her while their lives were still normal. I'm not putting any spoilers in this book so the ones who have read it know what I'm talking about. The things he did for her after she became blind.

I liked Werner, Jutta and Frederick. I was appalled at what happened to Frederick but not really surprised. The way humans are to each other and every living thing, it's sad though.

There is a special place in my heart for Marie-Laure's uncle Etienne and Madame Manec. They were such nice people. There are a few different people in the book that are good characters.

The book is sad and does have some happiness. But I could never imagine being Marie-Laure and blind in those times. Everything was bad enough to add that burden.

All in all it was a good book, it wasn't all about the war and stuff, it's about Marie-Laure and Werner growing up during this time and how they reacted and the things they had to go through. 4 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment